At approximately 0900hrs on Wednesday December 13, 2017 box 10-01 was alerted for a house fire with subjects reported trapped on the roof on Lombard Street in Thurmont. Prior to leaving the station Medic 30 (Frederick County Advanced Life Support) advised that it was going to be a working fire, that he had heavy smoke showing from the station. Engine 102 along with the Chief responded moments later. Engine 102 arrived on the scene reporting a 2 story single family home with fire on the 1st floor on the alpha side. Crews on E102 advanced an 1" 3/4 line to the front door. Engine Tanker 104 arrived on scene a few seconds later and the crew advanced a second line off of Engine 102 and positioned at the front door as back up while the fire crew was inside fighting the fire. When Engine 102 arrived on the scene there were no occupants on the roof as originally dispatched. Prior to the crews entering the structure Chief 10 was advised by a bystander that all of the occupants made it off of the roof and were safe and accounted for across the street at a mechanic shop.
After the fire was extinguished it was later determined that a employee from Gateway Automotive across the street, heard two females yelling for help and when they looked outside they saw the house was on fire and the 2 occupants trapped on the first floor porch roof. The employee from the mechanic shop ran and got a ladder and then assisted the two occupants off the roof and to safety.
Mutual Aid assistance was provided by the following companies: Emmitsburg, Lewistown, Rocky Ridge, Woodsboro, Walkersville, Thurmont Ambulance, Libertytown, and Smithsburg EMS
The Frederick County Department of Fire and Rescue Services Fire Marshalls office determined the cause to be a bad electrical outlet in the floor in the living room. The structure was deemed inhabitable and the occupants were being assisted with family members in the area.